January 1 marked a trivial, but never-the-less interesting date in the history of the Great Allegheny Passage.
After the collape of the Jason "Jay" Gould finincial empire the Western Maryland Railway Company (WMdRwy) was formed January 1, 1910. The new company was partially financed by John D. Rockefeller.
Two subsidiary companies, the George’s Creek & Cumberland Railroad Company of
Soon construction began on the last major link of the reconstituted Western Maryland Railway, the extension to
Of course, as we all enjoy, that route would become the Great Allegheny Passage, opening from Cumberland, MD to Connellsville, PA and beyond 90+ years later.
paul g wiegman